There are four broad categories why a potential intelligence asset would betray their affiliations:
- Money - Low salary, greedy, in debt, etc.
- Ideology - Hates his system, admires ours?
- Compromise/Coercion - Blackmail, emotional relationship, etc.
- Ego/Excitement - Lonely, looking for a friend, passed over for a promotion. Not appreciated, seeking praise or adventure or personal challenge.
Usually emotions are connected to recruiting an intelligence asset. Here is a list of emotion categories:
- Love (Affection, Lust, Longing)
- Joy (Cheerfulness, Zest, Contentment, Pride, Optimism, Enthralment, Relief)
- Anger (Irritation, Exasperation, Rage, Disgust, Envy, Torment)
- Sadness (Suffering, Sadness, Disappointment, Shame, Neglect, Sympathy)
- Fear (Horror, Nervousness)
When recruiting an intelligence asset there might be various levels of success or failure:
- Information Source - Willing to leak information but not carry out any other tasks.
- Executive Agent - Will carry out orders such as sabotage, attacks, etc.
- Recruiting Agent - Will be willing to recruit others.