Fear is an opposed check. It is opposed normally by
Discipline and occasionally by
|State of Fear||Check Difficulty|
|Minimally afraid||Easy ()|
|Moderately afraid||Average ()|
|Very afraid||Hard ()|
|Mortally afraid||Daunting ()|
|Utterly terrified||Formidable ()|
|Confronting something reputed to be dangerous||1 difficulty upgrade|
|Confronting something known to be dangerous and very rare||2 difficulty upgrades|
|Confronting something known to be extremely dangerous and unique||3 difficulty upgrades|
- Failure – Add to each action during the encounter.
- Threat – Suffer strain equal to number of . If or more the character could be staggered for their first turn.
- Despair – Incredibly frightened. Add to all checks until the end of the encounter.
- Success – Avoid any fear effects except those triggered by .
- Advantage – Gain on the characters first check. Additional gain on the first check.
- Triumph – Cancel all previous fear effects or trump all future fear checks during the encounter.