Sources: UaBS:27; SoF:119
The following rules can be used to simulate one round or hand of sabacc, a popular card game in the Star Wars universe. In sabacc, players attempt to develop a hand of ±23 using a deck of 78 chipcards that shift between positive and negative versions of their numbers until they are played.
- The table agrees on a wager, and each player pays this amount into the pot.
- Use Cool to establish a base dice pool.
- The GM adds Difficulty dice to the player’s dice pool based on the difficulty of the game and the skill of the opponents.
- The player rolls the dice pool, leaving the dice on the table. He then rolls a single Force die to illustrate the shifting nature of the cards’ signs. For each dark side symbol , one Success and one Advantage are converted into a Failure and Threat , respectively. Conversely, each light side symbol changes one Failure and one Threat into a Success and Advantage , respectively.
- To cheat, a character instead uses his Deception, Skulduggery, or Computers skill pool for the test. Upgrade the difficulty of the skill check once. On a Despair symbol , the PC is caught cheating, and gambling immediately stops to resolve the discovery.
- On a Success , the PC wins back his wager. For each additional Success , he wins another wager’s worth from the pot. A allows him to reveal a positive or negative 23 and win the entire sabacc pot. The round ends.
Spending Advantage, Triumph, Threat & Despair in Sabacc
|Recover 1 strain as one of the cards in your hands unexpectedly flips in your favor.|
|Add a Boost die to your next roll as you successfully bluff.|
|Figure out an opponent’s tells and downgrade the difficulty of your next roll once.|
|Reveal a positive or negative 23 and win the entire Sabacc pot (determined by the GM).|
|Suffer 1 strain as one of the cards in your hand unexpectedly flips, forcing you to change your strategy.|
|Add a Setback die to your next roll as you fall for an opponent’s bluff.|
|You lose your ability to concentrate on the game, upgrading the difficulty of your next roll once.|
|If you aren’t cheating, you bomb out, run out of chips, or are otherwise ejected from the game.|