- The Force & Destiny Core book is way more polished than the others, especially EotE
- Then update this, or I'll keep using it. -mk
|Acting Skill||Opposing Skill|
|Coercion, Deception, Leadership||Discipline|
|Negotiation||Negotiation or Cool|
These are skills that are used to actively perform whichever action the user wants. It depends on how they are going about it. Remember, ,,, can always be used to create a “standard” mechanical result (ie Extra may always be used to increase the speed or effectiveness of the intended task, may always be used to add a boost to the next check, or can always upgrade the next check), but be sure to include the “why/how” narratively, according to the skill used. The examples below also include other possible narrative benefits that provide an idea of what these extra advantages are worth
- Charm (Pr)
- User must maintain a degree of sincerity.
- Used for persuading, appealing, seduction (use Deception if the interest is entirely feigned). Persuading an individual to make a special exception to his usual practices through flattery, flirtation and grace.
- Often opposed by Cool; in the case of Charming a large group, use a set difficulty. Modifiers can include style of dress, species, or other characteristics. If the desired outcome is directly opposed to the targets interest, you might add
- Extra may extend support for additional scenes.
- can affect unexpected additional subjects - bystanders or others not directly involved in the scene, but who may be able to aid the character in their own way.
- target could become a recurring character who remains predisposed to assist - not joining the NPC “crew”, but offer better prices or sharing certain Imperial secrets, for example.
- could reduce the # of people trying to influence, or turns the target against the user.
- could turn the target against the user and become a recurring character.
- Coercion (Will)
- Instil obedience in a target through use of threats or acts of physical intimidation.
- Use when threatening (with or without actual hostile actions AoR says “without” hostile actions only. ), questioning or persuading under physical captivity, physical torture (and may also inflict wounds and strain Normally, these are not inflicted by coercion per se but by other actions, apparently.). An implied threat, such as gesturing toward a weapon, is sufficient to invoke Coercion.
- Opposed by Discipline. Situational modifiers, such as the degree to which the target is helpless or a degree of threat that is significantly less than expected, may significantly affect the dice pool. Attempting to persuade a subject to betray his core beliefs should always add to the dice pool.
- Extra may inflict strain at the rate of 1 strain per .
- may be spent to affect unexpected subjects.
- could completely break the subject's will. The targets allegiance shifts, and he becomes a subjugated ally of the acting character, at least temporarily. The new-found follower may be exploited to gain additional information or assets, or even to serve as a spy within the ranks of the foe. However, if the follower's betrayal is discovered by the foe, this forced loyalty may not prove permanent.
- may build resentment towards the user.
- may be spent to represent the user slipping up and revealing something about his goals.
- Deception (Cun)
- Similar to Charm except when deceiving the target.
- Opposed by Discipline.
- Used to mislead, distract, lay false trails.
- Extra may extend the duration of the deception.
- may increase the value of goods or services, or the target may simply believe that he is agreeing with the user.
- could be used to fool the target into thinking that the user is trustworthy.
- gives away a portion of the lie.
- would represent giving all or almost all of the deception up. The target may realize they are being lied to.
- Leadership (Pr)
- Is a combination of making smart decisions, being firm and decisive, instilling a sense of loyalty and respect.
- Used to negate fear in allies, sway a crows to take action, realign loyalties.
- Opposed by a set difficulty unless attempting to command a target to physical harm, or go against a target's nature or best interest then it would be opposed by Discipline.
- Extra may extend the target's support to additional scenes or increase the effectiveness or efficiency of the ordered actions.
- may be used to affect bystanders.
- could be used to have the target become a recurring character.
- could decrease the efficiency of the ordered actions.
- could be used to undermine the user's authority. Multiple could cause the target to become a recurring thorn in the side of the user.
- Negotiation (Pr)
- Determine how much of what a subject wants must be surrendered in order to get a particular good or service in return.
- Used for diplomacy and buying and selling.
- Opposed by Negotiation or Cool.
- An agreement may be an opposed or competitive Negotiation check.
- Extra may be used to increase the profit or modify the scope of the agreement.
- could earn unrelated boons or perks.
- the target could become a regular client.
- could increase the cost of goods or decrease the value.
- could sabotage the user's goals during the interaction.
- See Buying & Selling for more information.
These are skills that are used to oppose active skills.
- Cool (Pr)
- The ability to stay calm and think. Remaining emotionally centered.
- Can be used to determine combat initiative.
- Problem: The core rulebook says that this skill can be used to resist overly kind actions or penetrate through to the truth. Charm is usually opposed by Cool, which is fine, but Deception is usually opposed by Discipline, not Cool.
- Usually no extra on a Cool check.
- may give the user additional insight into the situation. Identify complications or something that can be used against an opponent. Problem: This sounds more like Perception?
- may mean the user comes away better from a situation and may recover 3 strain.
- could cause the user to miss an important detail or event.
- could stun the user for a round.
- Discipline (Will)
- Maintain composure (Very similar to Cool), control biological instincts of fear and horror.
- Used as opposition against Leadership, Coercion, and Deception.
- Used in the development of Force powers.
- Used to overcome fear or temptations or to determine if someone is lying.
- may be used to give additional insight.
- may add to allies' Discipline checks.
- may undermine the characters resolve.
- may overwhelm the user entirely causing them to be unable to perform more than a single maneuver during the following round of combat.