Starship & Vehicle Combat
House rules are available to make starship combat more interesting.
This is basically the same as personal combat.
- Determine initiative – Either a
Cool(when ready) or
Vigilance(unexpected) check. Most goes first, ties fall to most .
- Prepare initiative slots – Slots are either friend or foe and are filled when a character chooses so.
- Take turns in order. Some starships and vehicles can have multiple crew in them.
- End of the round. If the encounter is not over, jump to step 3 to take turns again. Certain effects may end.
- End of the encounter. Most effects are stopped, such as fear.
During each turn a character can perform the following:
- Incidental actions
- One maneuver – activities that do not require a skill check such as flying. On ships silhouette 1 to 4 a second maneuver can be obtained by suffering 2 points of system strain. A ship should always track its current speed.
- One action – Important activities such as firing a weapon. You can also exchange an action for a maneuver.
- Accelerate/Decelerate –
Pilot onlyIncrease or decrease speed by 1.
- Fly/Drive –
Pilot onlyDependent on the ship’s current speed.
- Speed 0 – Cannot use this maneuver until it accelerates.
- Speed 1 – Spend 1 maneuver to move within close range. Spend 2 maneuvers to move from close to short range or from short to close range.
- Speed 2-4 – Spend 1 maneuver to move within close range, to move from close to short, or from short to close range. Spend 2 maneuvers to move from close to medium, or from medium to close range.
- Speed 5-6 – Spend 1 maneuver to move within close range, to move from close to medium, or from medium to close range. Spend 2 maneuvers to move from close to long, or long to close range.
- Evasive Maneuvers –
Pilot onlySilhouette 1-4. Speed 3+. Upgrade to for all attacks made against this ship until the end of the next turn. Also upgrades to to all attacks made by the ship until the end of the next round.
- Stay on Target –
Pilot onlySilhouette 1-4. Speed 3+. Upgrade to once for all combat checks from this ship. Active until the end of the next turn. Any attacks against this ship upgrades to once.
- Punch It –
Pilot onlySilhouette 1-4. Immediately go to maximum speed but causes 1 system strain per point of speed increased.
- Angle Deflector Shields – A crewmember with access to the shield controls can reassign up to 1 point of Defense from one zone to another.
- Damage Control – A
Mechanicscheck recovers 1 point of system strain per success. Difficulty depends on current system strain. See table 7-2 on page EotE:233.
- Gain the Advantage –
Pilot OnlySilhouette 1-4. Speed 4+. Make a Pilot check, difficulty is the relative speeds of the two vessels. See table 7-3 on page EotE:234. Success allows the attacker to ignore all penalties associated with Evasive Maneuvers until the end of the following round and the attacker chooses which defense zone he hits. Gain the Advantage can be cancelled out next turn by the target if they successfully make a Gain the Advantage action.
- Additional Ship and Vehicle Actions – Other actions are available from table 7-7 on page EotE:237.
- Fire Vehicle Weapon – A single weapon can only fire once per round unless otherwise stated. When attacking a ship of silhouette 4 or lower the defender choose the defense zone. When attacking silhouette 5 or higher the defense zone is determined by ship position. Planetary scale damage is worth 10 points of damage on the personal scale.
- Blanket Barrage - Silhouette 5+. Speed 0-3. Make an Average ()
Gunnerycheck and selects all weapons of a single type within one or more firing arc. Those weapons fire this round. Until the end of the character's next turn, all vehicles silhouette 4 or smaller upgrade difficulty of any combat checks made against the ship once, plus one additional time per in the
Gunnerycheck. If the smaller's ship combat rolls they suffer one automatic hit dealing half the base damage (rnd up) of the selected barrage weapon above. If they suffer one automatic hit dealing the base damage of the barrage weapon.
- Concentrated Barrage - Silhouette 5+. Speed 0-3. Target Silhouette 5+. Fires all weapons of a single type within a single firing arc. Requires at least 2 weapons. Perform a standard combat check. On success, spend once to add damage equal to the number of weapons involved.
- Overwhelming Barrage - Silhouette 5+. Speed 0-3. Fire all weapons of a single type in a single firing arc. Requires at least 2 weapons. Perform a standard combat check. On success, spend to deal one additional hit to one vehicle at short range from original target. Plus one additional vehicle for every 10 weapons involved. Vehicles hit must have a silhouette equal to or higher than that of the original target. These hits deal weapons base damage +1 per .
You can view the Critical Hits chart here.